Hiring the right application development team is a critical and complex process that can significantly impact the overall maintenance and growth of your application. With numerous essential criteria to consider and a multitude of uncertainties to navigate, making the wrong decision can prove costly. The current talent shortage in the field adds an additional layer of challenge. However, by approaching the hiring process strategically and understanding the key factors at play, you can assemble a skilled and dedicated team that will drive the success of your application.
At Mallow, we take pride in our track record of delivering client satisfaction by successfully fulfilling their requirements within the desired time frame. Our secret to achieving this level of success lies in our approach to building application development teams with the right expertise.
By carefully analysing our client’s needs and leveraging the recommendations provided by our experienced business analysts, we are able to assemble teams that possess the precise skills and knowledge required for each unique project. This strategic approach ensures that our clients receive top-notch solutions and achieve their goals efficiently and effectively.
By reading this article, you will gain a comprehensive understanding of the key areas to consider before hiring an application development team. With this knowledge, you will be able to make informed decisions while building your development team, ensuring that you select the most suitable professionals for the unique needs of your project. You will also gain essential knowledge about optimising your budget and reducing unnecessary spending along your journey. This will eventually prepare you to begin the process of recruiting an amazing application development team for your project.
What’s the result of hiring the right development team?
Some key results of hiring the right development team that you would really find helpful are mentioned below.
1. Finding a partner for effective application shaping
When hiring an application development company, it is crucial to find a partner that not only possesses technical expertise but also has the ability to shape your application effectively, particularly during the initial stages when project requirements might be vague or limited. The ideal company should possess the skills to gather and analyse available information to form a comprehensive understanding of your needs. By asking pertinent questions, conducting research, and engaging in thorough discussions, they can identify key features and functionalities and design technical solutions required for your application.
2. Quality of the final product
Hiring the right development team ensures that your application is built with expertise and attention to detail, resulting in a high-quality product. Skilled developers understand industry best practices, adhere to coding standards, and perform thorough testing, guaranteeing a reliable and robust application that meets user expectations.
3. Your application has a faster time to market
An experienced development team possesses the necessary knowledge and efficiency to streamline the development process, reducing time-to-market. They can quickly grasp project requirements, make informed decisions, and implement agile development methodologies, allowing you to launch your application ahead of competitors and capitalise on market opportunities.Apart from that, hiring the right development team gives you a competitive advantage in the market. A skilled team can create innovative features, incorporate cutting-edge technologies, and deliver a user-centric application that differentiates you from competitors.
4. Lower the overall cost of application development
Selecting the right development team can lead to cost savings in the long run. Skilled developers have the expertise to plan and execute the project effectively, minimising rework, avoiding costly mistakes, and maximising resource utilisation. Additionally, their ability to identify and leverage cost-effective technologies and solutions can help optimise development costs without compromising quality.
Which job roles make up an application development team?
For example, let us consider an application with around 10 modules and each module having 5 to 8 features. The application also needs a few third-party integrations, handling a sizeable amount of data and being used by a variety of users. It is essential to hire the right development team to ensure the successful execution of your project.
The table below will give you an overview of what are some possible roles that you could consider hiring.
What are the basic steps involved in hiring a development team?
Step 1 – Determine your project requirements
- Defining the scope of the project involves determining the specific goals, deliverables, and objectives to be achieved. It is important to define the scope of the project and identify the key requirements and functionalities. This will provide a foundation for estimating the resources and efforts needed. Researching industry standards and consulting with experienced professionals can help in gaining insights into the typical costs and timelines associated with similar projects.
- Identifying the necessary skills and expertise begins by clearly defining the project requirements, including the desired technologies, platforms, and frameworks. Assess the specific skills and knowledge required for these technologies and prioritise them based on project needs. Conduct a thorough evaluation of potential candidates or development companies, considering their experience, portfolio, and track record in relevant projects.Communication skills and teamwork are also vital for effective collaboration. Consider seeking recommendations or references from trusted sources to gain insights into the candidates’ performance and reliability. Ultimately, assembling a team with the necessary skills and expertise will contribute to a smoother development process, higher-quality deliverables, and a successful outcome for your application development project.
- Selecting your project management model depends on various factors such as the nature of the project, the level of clarity in requirements, the desired level of control and flexibility, and the available resources.Waterfall, Agile, and Hybrid are popular project models to consider. For well-defined projects with clear and static requirements, the Waterfall model can be suitable as it follows a sequential approach.On the other hand, Agile methodologies like Scrum or Kanban are ideal for projects with evolving requirements and a need for frequent iterations and feedback. The Agile model enables flexibility, adaptability, and collaboration. In some cases, a Hybrid model, combining elements of Waterfall and Agile, can be beneficial to strike a balance between structure and flexibility.Interested in knowing more about Agile and waterfall project models? Check out this blog from Atlassian on Agile Vs Waterfall project management.
- Plan a budget for the project When setting a budget, it is crucial to consider all relevant factors, including development costs, design expenses, infrastructure requirements, potential third-party services or integrations, and ongoing maintenance and support. It is advisable to allocate a contingency budget for unforeseen circumstances or changes in requirements.
Step 2 – Research potential development teams
1. Use third-party sites and online research to find profiles of application development teams
- Explore popular online platforms such as Clutch, Upwork, or LinkedIn to find a wide variety of development teams.
- Look for teams with positive reviews, high ratings, and relevant experience in your industry or specific technologies.
- Consider exploring industry-specific forums, social media groups, or professional networks to find recommendations and insights.
2. Go through the websites of the application development teams
- Evaluate the team’s expertise, such as the technologies they specialise in and their development process.
- Check if they provide case studies, testimonials, or client success stories that demonstrate their past projects and the outcomes they have achieved.
3. Checking out their portfolio and past projects
- Evaluate the diversity and complexity of the projects showcased in their portfolio. Look for projects that align with your application’s requirements and objectives.
- Consider the industries they have worked with to determine if they have relevant domain the knowledge that can benefit your project.
Step 3 – Schedule discovery calls with those teams that look promising
What to check during each area of your evaluation?
- Ask about their expertise in specific technologies
- Ask about the programming languages relevant to your project
- Inquire about the team’s experience in developing applications similar to yours
- Ask if they have worked in any similar domain like that of yours
2. Project Examples
- Request them to explain one of the projects they have worked on
- Ask them to highlight the challenges faced and how they overcame them
- Seek details about the project’s scope and technologies used,
- Discuss the team’s role in its development.
3. Code Quality and Processes
- Inquire about their code commit process and version control practices
- Ask how they ensure code quality (by adhering to coding standards and guidelines)
- Ask about how they conduct code reviews
- Whether they practise automated testing
4. Communication and Collaboration
- Check their communication and project management process and tools experiences
- Before hiring an offshore application development team, it is important to consider how you will manage the time zone differences for daily communication. Ensure that there are clear strategies to effectively handle the challenges posed by varying time zones
- Assess their availability and responsiveness to ensure smooth collaboration
5. Team Structure and Resources
- Inquire about the size and composition of their development team
- Ask about the availability of necessary resources, such as designers, testers, or domain experts
6. Project Timeline and Flexibility
- Discuss their approach to project timelines and deadlines
- Inquire about their flexibility in accommodating changes or additional requirements during the development process
7. Support and Maintenance
- Ask about their post-development support and maintenance services.
- Inquire about their process for handling bug fixes and updates after the application is deployed
8. Security and Data Privacy
- Discuss their approach to security measures and data protection
- Inquire about their compliance with relevant regulations or industry standards
9. Pricing and Contractual Matters
- Request a breakdown of their pricing structure
- Discuss payment terms.
- Discuss any contract or legal aspects, such as intellectual property rights or confidentiality agreements
Note – When evaluating application development companies, it’s crucial to remember that selecting the lowest-priced option shouldn’t be the sole determining factor. Consider the quality of the end product you will receive and the process followed by the application development team in building your application. Taking these factors into account ensures that you prioritise the overall value and quality of the final product rather than solely focusing on cost.
10. Client References and Testimonials
- Ask for references from previous clients to get their perspective on working with the development team.
- Inquire about any testimonials or case studies that showcase their success stories.
Step 4 – Evaluating the shortlisted teams
Start by assessing the technical skills and expertise of the teams, reviewing their experience with relevant technologies and their ability to handle your application’s specific requirements. Next, evaluate their communication skills, thought process and how effectively they respond to your queries.
Take a look at any notes you made during your calls with the teams to refresh your memory and compare the details discussed. Checking references and verifying past work experience can provide valuable insights into their performance, reliability, and quality of work. Considering these aspects, you can make an informed decision while shortlisting the teams for further evaluation.
Step 5 – Make a decision and finalise the contract
In the final step of hiring an application development team, you should focus on the following aspects. First, carefully evaluate and choose the right application development team for your project. Consider factors such as their expertise, experience, and compatibility with your project requirements. Once you have selected the team, engage in negotiating the terms of the contract, including the scope of work, deliverables, and payment structure.
Ensure clarity on these aspects and reach a mutually beneficial agreement. Finally, formalise the contract, resolve legal and intellectual property considerations, and establish a realistic project timeframe. By following these guidelines, you can ensure a reliable and competent development team for your application.
How do application development companies determine the cost they charge?
Understanding the process of hiring an application development team is crucial for efficiently managing the hiring process. Following the steps outlined above, you can make informed decisions when evaluating potential teams, assessing their skills and expertise, and conducting interviews. Preparing a list of questions, conducting initial interviews, and checking references allow you to gather the necessary information to make the right choice.
To gain a better understanding of how application development companies determine their charges, it is essential to explore the factors that influence the cost of the development process. Check out our article to get more insights on how application development companies determine the cost they charge you.
By familiarising yourself with the cost-determining factors, you can effectively assess the cost estimates provided by your chosen development team. This article will provide you with an overview of these factors, enabling you to make informed evaluations of the cost estimations received from your development team.
Still unsure about how to proceed further with your application development process? Feel free to reach out to our team.